May 1, 2019 5:30 PM - 8:30 PM PDT
Mayor's Award: The Los Angeles Football Club
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) is the newest MLS soccer club serving the greater Los Angeles area. Coming off a record-breaking inaugural season, LAFC is dedicated to building a world-class soccer club that represents the diversity of Los Angeles and is committed to delivering an unrivaled experience for fans. LAFC’s ownership group is comprised of local leaders and innovators of industry with intellectual capital, financial prowess, operations expertise and success in the fields of entertainment, sports, technology and media. LAFC is invested in the world’s game and Los Angeles, with the construction and development of the 22,000 seat Banc of California Stadium and top-flight training center on the campus of Cal-State Los Angeles. @LAFC #LAFC
Strategic Growth: Santa Monica Seafood
Santa Monica Seafood, as an 80 year old privately-owned company, is the largest specialty wholesale distributor and processor of fresh and frozen seafood in the Southwestern U.S. with over 200,000 s.f. of facilities in 12 locations in California, Arizona, Nevada, Illinois, New Mexico and Texas. Santa Monica Seafood is also well known locally for its two retail stores and cafes in Santa Monica and Costa Mesa. Santa Monica Seafood was the first and still the only seafood company in the United States to achieve FSSC 22000 certification for food safety management systems, ISO 14001 certification for environmental management programs and BAP certification for its main processing facility. @smseafood
* Santa Monica Seafood is celebrating its 80th year of existence; is still a privately-owned company that started on the Santa Monica pier in 1939; and is the largest specialty wholesale distributor and processor of fresh and frozen seafood in the Southwestern U.S.
* 14 years ago, Santa Monica Seafood was a small, $60 million revenue company with one 60,000 sq. ft. processing / distribution facility and two retail stores …. all in southern California
* Today, Santa Monica Seafood is a $460 million revenue company with 12 locations encompassing over 200,000 sq. ft. of space in 6 states – CA, AZ, NV, IL, NM and TX
* Santa Monica Seafood has grown at a 15% Compounded Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) over the past 14 years (having tracked this since Roger O’Brien-CEO/President became involved with the Company)
* Santa Monica Seafood has grown principally by Acquisition but also by opening facilities in new geographic areas as well as by organic growth of its existing and acquired businesses
* Santa Monica Seafood has completed 7 acquisitions and 1 joint venture over the past 14 years which, collectively, have resulted in over 75% of the revenue growth over the past 14 years
* With its growth and expansion, Santa Monica Seafood has transitioned from a family owned and operated company to a professionally run management team having strong outside expertise, high quality facilities, automated equipment, strong food safety standards and strong financial and operational systems
* Santa Monica Seafood purchases over 60 million pounds of seafood annually, both locally from various ports along the coast of California as well as globally from numerous countries around the world
* Today, Santa Monica Seafood was the first and still the only seafood company in the United States to achieve three internationally recognized certifications - one for food safety management systems and one for environmental management programs, along with numerous other nationally and industry recognized formal certifications. Santa Monica Seafood was awarded the Food Safety Achiever of the Year award in 2018 by an organization that has several hundred food manufacturer and retail customers throughout the U.S. and around the world
* Santa Monica Seafood aims to have a positive influence in its communities and worldwide by charitable commitment and involvement. Santa Monica Seafood proudly sponsors local organizations such as Bracken’s Kitchen, The Let It Be Foundation and Olive Crest, and has contributed over $1 million to over a dozen causes supporting global sustainability and environmental issues in the seafood industry.
Family Legacy Award: San Antonio Winery
San Antonio Winery is the oldest winery in Downtown Los Angeles, a hidden gem and historical landmark operating in the same community where it was founded in 1917. @SAWineryLA
Market Transformation: The h.wood Group
Marketing Innovation Award: Hippeas
HIPPEAS Organic Chickpea Puffs are made for modern-day hippies. They took the protein-dense chickpea and turned it into the familiar puff that we all love, but better-for-you. HIPPEAS are organic, gluten-free, vegan and totally delicious! Quickly becoming the new go-to snack for those who demand great taste and high-quality ingredients. True to their mantra of “Peas, Love and Giving Back,” HIPPEAS partners with local charities to change things for the better, one puff at a time. @hippeas_snacks
- Since their launch in 2016, HIPPEAS is now sold in more than 50,000 points of sale across the US & UK including Whole Foods, Safeway/Albertsons, Kroger, Amazon and select CVS, Target, Walmart and Costco locations.
- In 2019, HIPPEAS expects to sell as much as they did in 2017 & 2018 combined.
- They’re on a mission to shake up snacking and aim to be the #1 puff in the natural category!
- HIPPEAS recently added two new flavors to their stellar lineup - Nacho Vibes and Himalayan Happiness sure to make you smile. You’ll see the new flavors making their way to grocery aisles near you!
Technology Innovation Award: Fair
Fair offers a new way to get a car in response to consumer demand for more freedom. Fair gives customers the flexibility to drive the car they want for as long as they want and lets them walk away any time, eliminating the long-term commitment of traditional financing or leasing. Fair allows you to select your car, miles, and view your monthly payments—all in a mobile and paperless end-to-end experience that’s simple, transparent and affordable. Fair is headquartered in Santa Monica, Calif. For more information, please visit www.fair.com and follow us at @fairtheapp.
- In 2018 Fair raised over $500+M (or half a Billion) in equity capital, from investors like SoftBank, next47 Siemens Venture arm, Penske Auto Group, BMW, and Mercedes to list a few.
- Fair also raised almost $1B in debt capital from institutional banks like Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, Silicon Valley Bank, and more.
- Fair acquired Uber’s Xchange Leasing Business in January of 2018
- Fair became Uber’s exclusive vehicle solutions partner for anything over 30-days
- Fair also inked a deal with Ally Financial the former GMAC to be their financing arm for a zero-term base lease option for all their consumers in active markets
- Fair launched in Los Angles in August 2017 and by the end of 2018 was live in over 30 DMA’s/Markets and in 17 States
- Since launching in its headquarters of Los Angeles in late 2017 by the end of 2018 Fair had over 20,000+ active subscribers on the road
Deal of the Year Award: Anastasia Beverly Hills
Founder's Award: King's Hawaiian